Sunday, February 1, 2009

Provident Living: Resource Management

Ask yourself honestly: Am I controlling my money or is it controlling me? The Lord has commanded us to be wise stewards of our resources.

Can you honestly say that all of the following statements apply to you and your family?

1. I am responsible for how my money is used. It is having a positive impact on my family.
2. I am cautious about incurring debt. I use it for essential items like a house and not for unneeded items.
3. I report honestly on my use of money to the Lord and to my spouse.

Controlling family spending is essential to living within our means as the Lord has commanded. The following principles will help us be provident in our financial resource management:
a. Pay tithes and offerings first. Donate 10% of your gross increase and a generous fast offering. The Lord will help you use the other 90% of your money effectively.
b. Spend less than you earn. Save for the future to establish a rainy day fund and funds for education and missions.
c. Budget your money each month. Avoid unnecessary debt. Pay off the obligations you currently have until you are out of debt.
d. Shop wisely: utilize sales, coupons, and discount stores.
e. Use resources frugally and avoid wasting them. Conserve natural gas, electricity, and water.
f. Limit eating out. Cook nutritious meals at home.
g. Teach children to use money wisely. Learn to make minor repairs and use what you have.
h. Grow a garden and learn to preserve and utilize the produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment